Our name reflects: Our intention to provide an excellent service for the whole community. We have created a service that is accessible, inclusive and responsive to our community's needs.
Our logo represents:
-A seed of hope for those who feel like all ends are lost
-The journey of the seed represents hope, the past is gone and a fresh start is in the air
-Captures the moment of release for people – a letting go of past hindrances and thinking, and then experiencing freedom, hope and happiness as a result
-Bright oranges, yellow, reds reflect the feeling of hope and happiness as a result of counselling
Te Whare Whai Oranga – ‘ the house of pursuing wellbeing’
How Stress Effects the Brain
High levels of cortisol can wear down the brain's ability to function properly. ... Stress can kill brain cells and even reduce the size of the brain. Chronic stress has a shrinking effect on the prefrontal cortex, the area of the brain responsible for memory and learning.Jul 26, 2016
The Mind and Mental Health: How Stress Affects the Brain
Our team enjoyed some pampering in December 2018. and Christmas lunch at Salt & Pepper.
2018 IMPACT REPORT
Some highlights in 2018 were:
- 178 active clients
- 148 of these were new clients
- 42% of our work is with families
- 15 clients - the number of suicidal clients, who now have hope
- 1 bequest gifted in 2018
- 15% of our clients were Maori
- 6674 - the total number of clients since 1990
- 15% of our clients were over the age of 60 - an area of growth
- 19% of our clients were children or youth
- the number of clients reporting they had been to mental health but couldn't access their services for 4 - 5 months
- the number of medium to high needs clients being informally referred
SELCETED FINANCIAL DATA
Income: $174,075 Grants $74,922; Contracts $40,889; Friends & Bequests $37,870
Expenses: $157,299 Volunteer & Employee related costs $120,909; Providing Service $33,231
A sincere, heartfelt thanks to all the Friends of the Centre, our founding Churches, the philanthropic trusts, and all those who have provided support to us in one way or another. Your monetary and spiritual generosity is so appreciated.
Robert Nicholson & Carol Parkinson
Our full Annual Report and completely independent audited Financial Reports are available on request.